Saturday, November 23, 2019

Gettysburg.......a haunted place.







It was Saturday, October 17th 2019. My sister, her daughter, my
two brothers and their ladies, plus myself were making a two day
visit and exploration of mysterious Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
Oh what history defines this historic place. Large open fields,
interrupted by splotches of dense trees and underbrush….
all accentuated by boulders and rail fences….culminating in
a real landscape of beauty and wonder.

Silent cannons and statues standing guard now over the still
country side that had been rocked in 1865 by the largest
three day battle of that great Civil war. So many dead, wounded,
bewildered and shocked. We had made several stops along the
historic battle ground to walk, listen, photograph and to imagine
what it must have been for those who were there to see, smell,
and feel the horrors of war.

The sun was shining brightly as we drove slowly along the
battle field route…with little being said amongst our group
as we meandered the fields on this beautiful fall day.
I was sitting in the left rear seat, facing forward, scanning not
only out my window on the left, but also observing the path
coming forth through the windshield.

To my great surprise…. all of a sudden, I felt my left arm being
grabbed…between the elbow and my  left shoulder.
It wasn’t a pinch, or a brush…it was a solid grab. I jumped and
 at the same time blurted out a “hey!”
It was like the flesh of my left arm was actually being held
for half a second or so. Those around me asked what was
going on and I recounted to them what had just transpired.
No one in the car was responsible for what I had just
reported to them.

Now I had to process this all in my own mind. I have never
had any spasms, twitches, or anything of the like in any of my
extremities….this was a brief but powerful squeeze  as if a
school teacher in ‘the old days’ might be trying to get your
attention in school.
I thought about that occurrence for the rest of the day… and
for many days ahead. I have read of others who have visited
Gettysburg and experienced seeing or photographing some type
of unusual activity or figure on the battle fields…or in many of
the old homes in Gettysburg itself.

So what did I experience that day in Gettysburg? I can’t explain
it…..was it the spirit of a soldier lost or killed there trying to get  my
attention…for whatever reason? Perhaps.
I’ve always thought there is a thin line or veil between where we
are now….and where we will be going upon death.
I’ll go back to Gettysburg again someday. It’s a place you could
easily spend a week in, not just two days.  I’m sure I’ll never have
another experience like the one I had that day….and I most
certainly won’t seek one out. Gettysburg is indeed a mysterious
and awesome place. I recommend it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment