Saturday, August 17, 2019

Remembering that first car...




My first car, purchased for $500 in the fall of 1967 to go to Alfred State..

a 1959 Olds Delta 88.. it was a beast, a monster if you will.. it was two

 tone blue and white... I remember taking a short cut up over the hills from

 Andover into Alfred when it stopped on the railroad tracks....just stopped..

I had to ask a guy who lived within 100 yards of the tracks to help me

push it off the tracks...within moments of moving it..we heard the

sounds of a train blowing it's whistle from not too far away...

it was one of those 'whew' moments in life... I had the car for


a couple of years... one always thinks about where that 


first car ever ended up! Back in the 60's and 70's.. a lot of those


used cars ended up as stock cars at the local dirt tracks. 

The cars made today are pretty much like soda cans compared to

those made many years ago...

I'm not sure a train would really have destroyed that car... it was 

so heavy and well made. I'm sure it would have given the 

'cow catcher' a good run for it's money...

Remember your first one? Maybe it's tucked into an old barn 

somewhere...waiting for your return....to bring it out... put in a 

new battery and some fresh gas...then a trip down an old 

favorite country road. Memories...it's what life is really about. SS








No comments:

Post a Comment