Friday, February 23, 2018

Guns in school....



Like everything else in the last five decades, the presence of guns
of any kind within the confines of a school has greatly changed.

I can remember in the 1960's in my small rural high school in
New York State we would have at least one class a year...usually
held in the evening hours when an instructor would come in,
bring in a long gun or two.. and train students how to use
it properly.

After the course was completed, and brief test taken, a card
was given to the student to present when you would go to
obtain your hunting license.  If I remember well, it was
for 15 and 16 year olds.

Those years in the 50's and 60's were gun-friendly years, many
would ride around with guns, (many loaded), on gun racks
in the back of their pick up trucks. It was never questioned...
it was just a matter of fact.

We were brought up with B B guns, (you'll shoot your eye
out kid) we started shooting at a very young age, and never
had in mind that anyone would ever go into a school and
actually shoot someone or anything.

So now we're living in a new age.. the digital age. The
question to be asked is....where will we end up with this
current dilemma we are in?

I often joke with my older brother who is 75, I'm 68, that
we may be the last generation to hunt, target shoot, and
enjoy our weapons.....and I'm not too sure I'm too far
off on the prediction.

I remember the great radio narrator Paul Harvey years
ago once saying..."you out law guns, people will pick
up knives... you out law knives... people will pick up
screw drivers."

I wonder what Mr. Harvey would say today about the
trials and tribulations we are in the middle of.




No comments:

Post a Comment