Monday, March 26, 2018

You have an idea...




A few days ago I talked about self publishing and briefly about the whole
publication process....it is a study in itself.

If you Google search self publishing companies, you'll see a whole list of
companies out there that will help you get your proposed book out to the
entire planet. Which ever one you choose...be prepared to do some major
work, because although it is fun and thrilling to toil on a publishing
project, you have to be prepared for a pretty tedious process. Some
companies will do a lot of the work for you, some will want you to have
everything prepared ahead of time..and their respective charges will reflect
those things.  If you are really computer savvy, a lot of the arranging can
be done by yourself. I was not, so I had to rely on a publisher to do a majority
of those things for me.

So you may have a story you want to share....life experiences....a collection of
poems or stories you've written....perhaps a life long hobby that you want
to share....here are some starting points for you.

Search out and join some of the writers sites out there such as Writerscafe.
You can share some of your writings with others...get feedback on yours
and garner some good ideas on how to proceed.

When I contemplated publishing my book, I was fortunate as I had started
 years ago making a few notes of things that I had experienced in the funeral
business that I wanted to some day relate in print. I'm sure that there are many
stories that I had forgotten over time, but you can't remember them all I guess.

Now that you have an idea for a book, whether it be hard copy or electronic,
the next step is to start a formal blue print if you will on how you will put
it all together. This is the one of the biggest steps next to finding that
publisher. Is your story going to be chronological? Should it be?  Will the
story have characters and if so...how will you develop them and their
relationship to each other?  Oh so many questions to contemplate here.

Fortunately, we are living in such a great age that almost any question you
have can be addressed right here at your fingertips. If you ask on line, you
can find the answer...and in most cases, multiple answers on how you should
proceed.

In a few days...how I put together Undertakings of an Undertaker, true stories
of being laid to rest...and how it is helping with book 2 and 3 now underway.
You can reach me anytime at; undertakings@inbox.com 
Would love to hear from you! SS


No comments:

Post a Comment